11.17.2010

Traditions are Meant to Evolve

I grew up in Overland Park, KS, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. One of the Christmas traditions of Kansas City is the turning on of the Country Club Plaza lights. When I was girl, this took place on Thanksgiving night and signalled the start of the Christmas season.


If you're ever in Kansas City on Thanksgiving, I highly recommend you attend this event. It's beautiful. I can only remembering going to the lighting ceremony once, but we drove the Plaza lights every single year, often more than once. One of my prized possessions is a cross-stitch I did of the Plaza lights. I'll post it when I unpack it to decorate.

Anyway, when Dan & I got married, one of our traditions was to put up the exterior Christmas lights on Thanksgiving after everyone left and light them that night. As our "helpers" grew up and left home, that tradition has undergone some change. The past few years we've put the lights up the weekend before Thanksgiving. We still light them on Thanksgiving night, though.

I say all that to say this: the weekend before Thanksgiving is this weekend! My goodness, it doesn't seem possible. Dan is so busy between appraisals (praise!) and Sam's Club, that I'm a little concerned about our lights getting up this year. Zach is going to try to come over on Sunday to help decorate.

Back to the Plaza lights. One of the best parts of seeing the Plaza lights was stopping at Putsch's Cafeteria for a cup of hot chocolate... I wonder if they're still around?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.