11.28.2010

It Doesn't Have to Be Perfect

You may have figured out by now that when I do an essay on perfectionism I’m really preaching to myself. I tend to be a perfectionist and I am way to analytical. On just about everything. It is something that I am aware of and I try each and every day to let go of some perfectionist tendency in my character. That counts for something, doesn’t it?

Today I’m writing about the annual Christmas Letter. First let me say that I love to read Christmas letters from everyone else. I find them to be humorous, informative, entertaining, and fascinating. I’m amazed at all the different styles people come up to write their letters in. Some of my past favorites have been the ABC style; this is where the author writes each line of the letter in alphabetical style. Very clever. Another favorite is the month-by-month style. This method has the author writing about each month of the previous year. One friend employs the newspaper style. Her husband writes it and it looks like a mini-newspaper, complete with captions, photos, and quotes pulled out of each item. It is so good!

I use the simple style. I write two-four sentences on each kid and include photos. Sounds easy, doesn’t it? It should be easy. But I, of course, have to make it difficult because each and every year I agonize over the photos. Specifically I agonize over the lack of a great group shot of all of us. Together at one time. Looking like we love like each other. I procrastinate about writing my letter just because of the lack of that special photo.

I started whining about it this morning. I don’t have a good picture. What am I going to use for a group shot? Why can’t everybody be together at least once a year so I can get a good picture? My letter’s going to be ruined. Then I realized, I don’t judge everyone else’s letters like that. I just enjoy them. Maybe, just maybe, that’s how people feel about my letter. Either that, or they just throw it away without reading it so what difference does it make if the photo is perfect or not.

Relief. I am going to write my Christmas letter today or tomorrow. Stuff it in the envelopes that are already signed and addressed. Mail my Christmas cards by the end of the week. Then I’m going to write myself a note for next year reminding myself that the photo doesn’t have to be perfect, it just needs to reflect the joy I derive from my family.

(By the way, if you would like to be included on my Christmas card list so you can read my simple Christmas letter, send me your address and I'll add you. Seriously, I will. I love to send Christmas cards!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.