11.15.2010

Giving Thanks for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is next week. On Thursday to be exact. I am so excited for that day to arrive. There are many elements that go into making Thanksgiving a special day for me. I want to share some of them (in no particular order).

The Macy’s parade: Now let me clarify that. I love the Macy’s parade as it was when I was a child, not today’s commercialized version. Seriously, who’s ever even heard of some of the featured personalities in the parade? It’s become a huge advertisement for NBC and the latest show(s) that are doomed to failure. I know, I sound a tad jaded. But I miss the focus being on the local marching bands, the floats, the traditions. I still turn it on each and every year and have it in the background as I go about preparing for the onslaught of guests coming my way.

The turkey: I don’t know why the myth persists that it’s difficult to prepare a turkey. It’s got to be the easiest thing in the world to cook. Just spray it with Pam, cover it with whatever herbs and spices appeal to you, throw it in a 325 degree oven and leave it alone for a few hours. Check on it a couple of hours in to see if the breast is getting too brown, cover it with a tent of heavy duty aluminum foil if it is, and leave it for another hour or so. Take it out, let it set 30-60 minutes to set the juices, then carve. I love the smell of turkey roasting. It’s such a cozy fragrance. (I bought my turkey this weekend, it’s in the freezer just waiting to be thawed!)

The HUGE crossword puzzle: The past few years The Arizona Republic newspaper has carried a mammoth crossword puzzle on Thanksgiving Day and on Christmas Day. Oh my gosh, it is such fun. It takes up the centerfold of the paper. It’s large enough that everyone can work on it. The only challenge is that there are some guests who need to work on it in pencil. We prefer ink. It can look pretty messy by the end of the day. And we’ve yet to actually finish one. Somehow it’s just not as fun the day after…

The guests: I’ve been so blessed over the years to host some really big (at least to me) feasts. If there are less than 25 guests, it’s just not a party! We’ve had a variety of friends, neighbors, family, and strangers join us over the years. This year, we’re only going to be a total of 10, but I know as our family grows, we’ll get back up into the high numbers. If you don’t have any where to go this year, come on over. We’ll have plenty of food, plenty of pencils for the crossword puzzle, and plenty of fun and fellowship. Just holler at me by the Tuesday before so I’ll know you’re coming!

The reminder: We should be thankful every day of our lives. It’s so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day that we forget to express our gratitude. I appreciate the reminder of Thanksgiving Day to reflect on all of the things that I am grateful for. Not just the usuals; friends, family, jobs, etc., but the little, seemingly insignificant things too. I am thankful, and I want my life to reflect the gratitude of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. I love the macy's day parade too Vicki - I love having it on TV even if I'm not watching it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.