10.15.2009

You're Never too Old for Experimentation...

Don't worry, this post is not about what you're probably thinking. It's about cooking!

Now that my picky eater kids have all grown up and left home, I'm rediscovering the joy of cooking. It started a few years ago when I purchased a Gooseberry Patch Christmas cookbook at Cracker Barrel. I went through it, marked all the interesting recipes with sticky notes and started trying them. I kept buying more and more cookbooks, marking them all with sticky notes, and trying the recipes occasionally. Here I am today, with 16 cookbooks (most of them Gooseberry Patch) and a 3-ring binder with recipes pulled from magazines and off the Internet.

I make a menu each month, and I have now added "something new" to each month. I try a new recipe, and if we like it, it goes into the monthly rotation. If we don't like it, I highlight it in the cookbook, give it a one word review and move on.

We've also gotten more daring in eating out. We made a pact that we will not look at the ingredients of a dish, we'll just try if if it sounds good. This has worked out for us, and we've tried many new ethnic dishes and loved them!

So, those of you with picky eater kids still at home, take heart! A day is coming when you'll be able to drop macaroni & cheese from the menu and replace it with homemade Manicotti!

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for trying new things. Janel makes a great manicotti. Hopefully those picky eaters have also grown out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picky eaters?? Us??? NEVER!! :) I'm happy to report that I rarely eat macaroni and cheese anymore. It has been replaced with stir fry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, your kids are doing so much better. :)

    I need to try some easy new good stuff. My kids are not picky at all but I get stuck in a rut.

    I like your christmas tips however you are stressing me out with them. ha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.