10.17.2009

What Would You Do If You Weren't Afraid?

I was listening to KLOVE this past week during their Fall Pledge Drive. The female on-air personality was talking about a discussion she and her husband had. They were discussing a personal decision that she needs to make. She said the conversation went on for more than an hour, with her crying throughout. As they neared the end of the talk, her husband looked at her and said "What would you do if you weren't afraid?" Man, that really got me.

I have always been a fearful person, from the time I was a child. I have two major fears: the dark and being alone, but I've also picked up a myriad of little "inconsequential" fears along the way that keep me from doing what I want to do, trying what I need to try. All the rest of this week when I find myself needing to make decisions, I hear that voice, "what would you do if you weren't afraid?"

So far, I've done two things: start this blog, and begin an exercise program that I purchased about 18 months ago. Don't ask me what I was afraid of that kept me from these activities before. I can't explain it. I do know, however, that fear is paralyzing. It can keep us from taking a single step, keep us plastered on the space we now occupy. It can ruin relationships, mess with our self-esteem, and cause ill health.

I've never had a personal motto before, but I think I'm going to take this one on for a while... what would you do if you weren't afraid?

1 comment:

  1. go back to school

    lose weight

    confront 2 people from my past who really hurt me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.