I'm not really one for buying things second-hand, particularly clothes, and NEVER shoes. It's not that I'm snobbish, it's that I'm not patient enough. I can't shop for clothes at Ross, either. I just don't like to shop that much, and standing there pawing through racks of clothes to find one thing that I'd buy doesn't appeal to me.
However, I've discovered Goodwill Stores. My daughter, Jessica, called a couple of years ago raving about some piece of furniture she bought at the Goodwill Store. Dan & I decided to check it out. We headed to a store in Northwest Phoenix. The first thing that struck me as we entered was the smell of dirty laundry. Yuck! But, I held my nose and continued. There was no furniture there, it was a tiny store, and we were not impressed.
Fast forward to 2009. After moving to Surprise, we found out there were two Goodwill Stores close to us. We went to the one in Surprise, and we were pleasantly surprised. They have a great selection of hardback books, which we both love. They also had tons of dishes and glassware. We began to go every couple of weeks, occasionally buying a book or serving dish.
Now, for the wish that came true. I have always wanted to set my table with various china patterns. I read the idea in a magazine when I was younger and it struck me as a cool thing to do. We were at Goodwill one day, and there was a beautiful Noritake china pattern of a black rose. I quickly found 2 dinner plates, 2 salad plates, 2 salad bowls, and 2 bread plates. I took them home, washed them, and felt so proud! I have since bought 3 more patterns of 2 place settings. My goal is to have 12 place settings. A few weeks ago when some of the kids came to dinner, I set the table with my new china. Everybody loved it! As I sat there admiring my beautiful table setting, I realized... one of my wishes came true at a Goodwill Store.
By the way, when you take your items to a Goodwill store as a donation, you get a 20% off coupon to use in the store on a minimum $10 purchase.
Hi Vicki - it's good to see you blogging and to read and catch up on what you're doing. Thank you for your nice card, I got it the other day. I appreciate that.
ReplyDeleteWe still go to Goodwill on a regular basis. We've been dividing our grocery list up by stores. This week? Adam started a Goodwill list! Pathetic? Maybe. True? Most definitely! Here's to recycling! Here's to low prices! Here's to the hidden treasures of Goodwill!
ReplyDelete