10.27.2009

Nine Years Ago Today

On October 27, 2000, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Now, I know there are much worse things to be diagnosed with, but for me, this was devestating news.

I grew up on the horror stories of "sugar diabetes". Hearing about children that came down with it, having to endure insulin shots multiple times a day in their stomachs. Hearing about adults that lost some toes, then some fingers, a foot, a hand, a leg - well, you get the picture.

I hate needles and I was scared to death that I would be the one giving myself shots in the stomach. Thank God for my doctor, Linda Motsch. She knew me, my aversion to needles and pills, and told me she thought I was a good candidate for controlling it with diet and exercise. I guess maybe she had picked up on my stubborn streak over the years of treating me!

I visited the Diabetic Educator at our local hospital, and immediately changed my eating habits. I (foolishly) waited a month to begin to test my blood sugar (it was the fear of the needle), but I did learn how with no problem. I lost over 50 pounds, and felt much better.

One of my fears about being diabetic, was (is) the fear of what will happen down the line. I've been able to control it for nine years with diet and exercise, but what happens if that changes? I know the complications, and none of them are pretty. But usually, I'm able to set those fears aside by looking at my record book and seeing day after day of acceptable blood sugars.

I've gotten used to the foods I can eat and when I can eat them. I do really good at staying on a strict schedule throughout the day. I don't feel bad when we go to events that fall outside of my schedule, I just don't eat. Or, I eat the non-carb foods if there are any. I've learned that it's the people I'm with, not the food that's being served that makes the event special.

All in all, having diabetes has been a blessing. It forced me to eat healthier (although why I couldn't figure it out on my own really bugs me). It forced me to consider my good health and work to preserve it. It totally changed my outlook on food. I now view food as something that's necessary, not something that's pleasurable or comforting.

It reminded me that self-discipline, while difficult, has its rewards. So, here's to the next nine years... hopefully medication free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.