When I was in Jr. High, I decided I wanted to have 12 kids. In Math class, when I should have been learning (I totally suck at Math, but I don't think this is the reason why) I would make lists of the names I would give my 12 kids (there's that list thing again). I would list their first name, middle name and the estimated year I would be giving birth to them. I would daydream about my future family often.
By the time I reached High School, a little sanity prevailed. I wanted six kids. Three girls and three boys. Or maybe four girls and two boys. I definitely wanted an even number. I knew too many kids from odd number families and someone was always being left out of the fun stuff.
When Dan & I married, I started my name list again. I had a list of six girl names and six boy names. I pared that down to my top four for each sex and started having babies. Jessica Lynn was the first name on my girl list and she was born on September 3, 1983. She was five weeks early. That was a good thing, because as impatient as I was I could hardly wait another day for her to arrive.
JD & Jessica 2009
Joseph Daniel was my first choice for a boy, and he arrived on June 18, 1985. Jessica was so proud to be a big sister! She loved to care for him and helped me every chance she got. I was so happy that I had a boy and girl. Now I didn't really care what sex the rest of them were.
He was quickly followed by the best surprise I've ever received in my life. Kathleen Renee on July 3, 1986. Poor JD, I knew I wouldn't be able to lift him when Katie arrived, so for the two weeks leading up to her birth I would try to drag him around, hoping he would learn to walk. It didn't really work. I'm not sure if that's the reason why, but when Katie was born, he wouldn't have anything to do with me for the first week I was home from the hospital. He wouldn't look at me, he wouldn't kiss or hug me, he avoided me like the plague. It's funny now, and to tell you the truth, it was funny then too! Well, kinda funny, kinda sad...
Katie & Zach 2006
Last but not least came Zachary Marshall on May 18, 1989. It was one of the hottest Springs on record. As a matter of fact, the record high for yesterday and today were both set in 1989. I remember those days well. Even though I would have gone ahead and tried for six, my OB had a different plan. I remember vividly as he was sewing me up (I had four c-sections), he was talking to one of the other doctors about fishing. He would say "the fishing was great at Lake Whatever this spring" followed by "you can not have any more babies; "next week I'm taking the boat out on Lake Whatchamacall", "this is absolutely your last baby".
I got the message. After three planned pregnancies and one surprise, our family was complete.
So, if you're doing the math, you can see that we had four kids in less than six years. JD & Katie are 12 months 2 weeks apart. I will admit that when I was pregnant with Katie I said I should be walking around with a sandwich sign on that said "Yes, I am completely out of my mind". Dan & I literally can't remember any event about Katie's first year without looking at pictures. It's all a blur. Thank goodness she was easy and flexible.
Plus, another example of my Math deficiency is that I did not figure out until Zachary was two that the boys were both born on the 18th and the girls were both born on the 3rd! Guess I was busy with other things.
I'm telling you all that to tell you this: I love being a mom. It is everything I thought it would be and more. I love the good times and I appreciate the not so good times. I love remembering their childhoods, and experiencing their adulthoods. I love the way each one of them is different, yet they all have some similar traits and characteristics. I am proud of each and every one of them, and, call me crazy, but I wouldn't change a thing about our family. They are my pride and joy.
So, thank you Jessica, JD, Katie, & Zach. Thank you for giving me the gift I wanted most in life. Thank you for making me a mom. I love you!
You're a great mom Vicki (and grammy too). I remember having Jessica and JD in my sunday school class when they were little. It doesn't seem possible that they are grown adults now. And somehow it doesn't surprise me that you have had a list of names since you were 12 years old ;).
ReplyDeleteYour welcome! Love you too!! :-)
ReplyDeleteYep, made me cry! :)
ReplyDelete