4.01.2010

Happy Birthday, Daisy!


Today is Daisy's Official Unofficial Birthday. We adopted her in October 2005 and have no idea how old she is. When we took her to the vet for her first check-up, he told us she was probably somewhere north of 7 years old.

The next vet we took her to told us she was 10 years old or older.

That was five years ago and she's still going strong. So, I think maybe they miscalculated based on her poor condition.

We went to Petsmart one day to buy supplies for Duke, the dog we adopted in April 2005. Daisy was in the adoption pen, but I passed her by because she only had one eye. I wasn't sure how Dan would feel about a one-eyed dog.

He called me over to her and commented that she was just what I wanted and why wasn't I considering her? So, we went in and held her, heard her story, and decided to take a chance.

The story was that she had been found in a field and turned in to the Humane Society with a badly infected eye. So they removed it.

As I was filling out the paperwork, a lady handing out dog treats came by. She paused at Daisy and began to give her commands. "Sit". Daisy sat. "Dance". Daisy danced. "Roll over, speak, beg, shake". Daisy responded to all commands correctly. We were thrilled!

Daisy came home with us that day... one-eyed, very overweight, recovering from the spay surgery, but a very sweet little dog. Obviously abused, she yelped every time we touched her for months. It broke our hearts. She settled into our household, and today she rules the roost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.