It's time for a confession. I am a Boot Camp drop-out.
I blogged in February about my enthusiasm to give Denise Austin's Boot Camp DVD a try. I was so excited about the possibilities. Apparently I forgot to factor in my age and general physical abilities (or lack thereof).
I started the exercises and then injured my lower back when the baby was over. I flopped down on our cold, hard tile floor too enthusiastically. I figured the high impact exercises would help it get back to normal more quickly. This was my first miscalculation.
The third week into the video, I pulled my right groin, also in response to frolicking on the floor with the baby. I didn't realize I pulled it until the next time I tried to sit cross-legged on the floor. Yeah, it hurt.
I tried to push into a 4th week of Boot Camp, but had to give up. Between all of my ailments (I'm not even going to tell you about my left shoulder), I was so discouraged and living on Advil besides.
So, I took a deep breath, dusted off my Denise Austin Fat Blasting Walk DVD and started over.
I'm two weeks into it and some of my aches and pains have subsided. I start with the 10-minute stretch routine, and then move into one of the mile walks.
The most positive thing I can say about this experience is that I can look at the Boot Camp DVD sitting on my shelf and not feel bad about myself. I gave it my best shot. I just started too soon.
My new plan is to work the walks until they're so easy that I don't notice the effort.Then I will move on to the Daily Dozen DVDs until they're effortless too. By that time, however long it takes, I will be ready for Boot Camp.
You know that "no pain, no gain" saying? It's a lie.
oh gosh, you didn't tell me about the injury or being a drop out. :)
ReplyDelete