OK, this is purely an opinion piece, you may disagree with me and we'll still be friends. I have to admit right at the top that I've never been a John Edwards fan. He strikes me as being too slick and glib. On my scale of rating politicians those qualities are near the top of my list of unforgivable characteristics.
That being said... I watched some show on ABC last night about John Edwards affair. I think it was 20/20. (I don't watch anything on ABC so am not familiar with their shows or news people). I only saw the last 30 minutes, but I am even more appalled at the things John Edwards has done than I was before.
Can you imagine how his wife, Elizabeth must feel. If I were her I would be thinking, "I wasted my HEALTH on this jerk!"
I don't have a very high opinion of Andrew Young and his wife either, however, I'm somewhat impressed with their willingness to admit the wrongs they committed in this whole situation. I also understand that they will profit from the mistakes they made. I thought it was pathetic that he kept saying that he's now unemployable. He's not, he's just unemployable in politics. I'm sure he can get some other type of job, but I guess he feels some other type of job would be beneath him.
I guess the moral of this story is that we rarely acknowledge that we are capable of unimaginable actions. I got the impression that the Young's look at themselves and can't believe they got caught up in this mess. They just kept repeating, we were wrong for doing this, we were wrong for doing that. They also expressed sorrow and remorse for their roles in enabling John Edwards to perpetrate such a lie.
Wonder if John Edwards will bounce back from this? What his wife will do? How he'll make amends to the daughter he denied? Stay tuned, I'm sure we haven't heard the last of him.
I wish I would have seen that Vicki. My dad saw it and said that he thinks John Edwards will be out of politics forever now. I feel awful for his wife as well, I just can't imagine!
ReplyDelete