2.17.2011

Bogged Down

In my reading of the Chronological Bible this year I’ve come to Leviticus and I am bogged down. Bogged down in the laws. A law for every little aspect of life. A sacrifice for every possible wrong. A right way to prepare the sacrifice for the wrong. A law for every possible crime. And it’s not just a general law. No, these are very specific laws. The consequences for accidentally killing a slave. For killing a slave on purpose. For accidentally killing an animal. For accidentally maiming an animal. For on purpose injuring an animal that accidentally dies. And on and on.


Every year I get bogged down in this part of reading by one question. Why did God give His children all of these laws when He knew there was no way they could follow them? Why did He make their lives so difficult? Why did He tell them that He knew that they would not be able to follow His laws, but they had to try all the same?


I actually know the answer to this question. God gave His people all of these laws so that when He sent His Son, Jesus, they would see how simple it is to attain Salvation. He gave them all of these laws so that when He sent His Son Jesus, they would be so relieved and grateful to be out from under the law that they would accept His gift of Salvation through the death and resurrection of Christ.


Of course, people being people, it did not work out that way. They (we) chose not to believe. They (we) clung to the old laws even though they were impossible to follow. They (we) took the simple gift of Salvation and made it into something difficult. They (we) broke God’s heart.


But, God being God didn’t give up. The offer for Salvation through Jesus is still available today. And if we are followers of Christ, we (I) need to be diligently sharing that offer with every one we (I) know. Despite our (my) fear. Despite our (my) concern about what they will think. Despite the fact that it could cost us (me) a relationship. Because do you know what the cost is if we (I) don’t share? It’s the knowledge that our (my) friends and loved ones could spend eternity apart from God.


He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."
Mark 16:15-16

1 comment:

  1. If this were facebook I would click the "like" button.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.