10.18.2010

Let Go of Perfectionism

I was working on my personal system for a stress-free Christmas before I found FlyLady (Marla Cilley). Although I had my system pretty much in place, I did find a lot of encouragement and some new ideas from her. This weekend she sent out an email getting the "flybabies" ready to start her system of "Cruising Through the Holidays". This year "Cruise Through the Holidays" begins today, October 18. The scenario is for you to pretend you're leaving on a cruise December 1 and to have all of your holiday tasks completed by then. She has a great way of leading us to face our perfectionism and realize how it ruins our holidays year after year. I'm reprinting her email below and I will start putting her Holiday Cruise Missions on my Christmas Corner page everyday. Yes, they are repetitive. But that's because we rarely complete them the first time around. As always, if you have a tried and true method of handling the holidays stress-free, please leave me a comment. I'd love to share your wisdom...

Let go of your perfectionism!


If I can talk you into letting go of your perfectionism then you can cruise through the holidays without all the stress that being a perfectionist puts on you!

I know you are looking for that perfect picture post card feeling, but let's face it! That only happens in paintings or in the movies. I want you to allow yourself the freedom to celebrate the holiday without this undue stress.

Let's look at how your perfectionism ruins your holidays!!!

1. You procrastinate till the last minute to do anything because you just don't seem to have enough time to do it right or you don't think you do! Then it really isn't done to suit you are anyone else because it is just thrown together willie nilly! I DON'T HAVE TIME! This phrase is whiny!

2. Shopping is put off till the last minute because we have not planned our purchases and then we hit the malls looking for anything and spending what ever to get something to give. You settle because of that phrase again. I DON'T HAVE TIME!! Yes you do if you started a few weeks ago!

3. Do you see a pattern here; waiting till the last minute? Do you know the meaning of the word Deadline? It is the point at which you have no more time. In other words; you practically kill yourself doing it, when a little each day would have helped you process things without the stress. NOW YOU REALLY DON'T HAVE TIME! But watch you put on your super woman costume and kill yourself along with the rest of the family trying to save face! This is what makes the holidays miserable!

4. Because you have waited till the last minute again to purchase items; you are faced with a marathon wrapping session. No one likes to do this and it is hard on your back. Be kind to you and do a little at a time as you come in the door. If you hear yourself say, "I DON'T HAVE TIME RIGHT NOW! Then just do one little package!

5. Now let's look at decorating your home. You hear your children begging to do things and then these words come out of your mouth!! I DON'T HAVE TIME RIGHT NOW!!! They are usually said in an unkind tone because you are mad at yourself over this procrastination pressure. Do you want to know why you don't think you have time? It is because of your perfectionism! You don't think you have time to do it right! Decorating your home does not have to be done all at once. Break it down into smaller pieces; take babysteps to decorate your home and enjoy establishing new traditions.

When you hear those nasty words come out of your mouth: I DON'T HAVE TIME!!! I want you to set your timer for 15 minutes and do something! You do have time! We all have the same amount of time in a day and it is how we choose to use it that makes the difference. When your perfectionism clouds your thinking you forget to do just a little to make things better.

Holidays celebrated incorrectly still blesses your family! Let go of your perfectionism and the whiny excuse of I DON'T HAVE TIME and enjoy this year.

Are you ready to Cruise through the Holidays?

FlyLady

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.