10.26.2010

I'm Getting Fired Up

I don't know how many times I have read the book of Acts in the Bible. It has to be in the dozens. I'm reading it again, and for some reason it has me fired up. Fired up for sharing Jesus with others.

You know how it is. You have your daily quiet time. Sometimes it seems like you're reading the same old verses, for the umpteenth time, nothing new. Then one day you read a verse and it's like "wow! this verse is really radical!" Or cool. Or convicting. Or truthful. That's the Holy Spirit getting our attention when God has a lesson for us.

That's how I am this time around with the book of Acts. The stories of the early church are fascinating to me. The boldness of the believers is inspiring. The grasping of the gift of Salvation by the Gentiles brings tears to my eyes. I want to be on fire like they were. I'm supposed to be on fire the way they were.

Acts 1:8 says: "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." In other words, I am His witness in the Phoenix area, in Arizona, and in the United States of America. How convicting that is for me. To be a witness for Him is really an easy proposition according to Acts. All I have to do is tell others that "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (Acts 2:21). Seriously, I can do that!

Another passage that really spoke to me this time around is the description of the fellowship of the believers. In Acts 2:42-47:
"They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."
Wow... all the believers were together and had everything in common... sounds awesome!

This is going to sound odd, but I just love it when God decides to knock me upside of my head. Thank goodness I've felt His "knock" enough times in my life now that I know to sit up and pay attention!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE it! Good for you. Thanks for the challenge and the reminder to listen for God's knock :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.