Sounds like the name of a 50's rock band, doesn't it? No, it's the names of the top stories on cable news every day this week.
I don't know about you, but I can't help but feel that the majority of Americans are like me... we don't care! Now, I will admit I care some about the party crashers. And I would care more, if I didn't think some white house officials weren't in on it. The security of the White House should be paramount. Not only is it the President's residence, it's a bastion of our democracy. But, I digress...
It seems to me that we should be spending more time and attention on things that really matter. And I don't mean just the bad things like unemployment, the failing dollar, the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan; no, I mean good things like people helping people, advances in medical research, examples of generosity of spirit.
I think the entire month of December should be good news month. I know we can't ignore the reality of the times we live in, but why can't the first three stories of a newscast be uplifting and encouraging? Just for one month! I know those stories are out there, in fact they abound. But, they're not sensational enough to merit air time in the minds of the media executives.
Can you imagine what December would be like if that were to happen? I think we'd see more smiles on faces and less stress. I think we'd see less beatdowns in the stores and more courtesy. I bet we'd see more coins in the bell-ringers' buckets. Just for one month.
We have little influence on the media, but we have great influence on our family and friends. Maybe we should resolve that for the month of December, we're only going to recount uplifting, encouraging, optimistic stories. Think what a difference it would make in our little world... maybe it would spill over into the bigger world. It's worth a try!
I love it- great idea :) I'm NOT a fan of the news anyway and love a good story about good people doing good things!
ReplyDeleteOh man, does this mean I can't complain to you about anything for the next 26 days?
ReplyDeleteLove this!