Even though my email is a Cox address, I receive it through MSOutlook on my computer. I love Outlook because I use the task list, notes, and calendar applications regularly. One of my favorites is the task list. I keep track of daily, weekly, and monthly tasks. I'm thrilled because I noticed this week that my task list has shrunk significantly.
Beginning the first week in June, I add the task of "buy & wrap Christmas gift" to every Friday, ending with the Friday before Thanksgiving. I also add the tasks of working on Christmas cards, writing Christmas letter, mailing Christmas cards, decorating interior of house, decorating exterior of house, planning Christmas party, and mailing gifts. These entries make my task list appear daunting from June through November. As of Monday, all of those tasks have been completed! My task list is back to normal.
For me, this is bittersweet. I'm glad, because I completed my holiday checklist for another year. I'm sad, because the preparation and anticipation is drawing to an end. I realized several years ago that for me the joy is in the anticipation. I love buying and wrapping the gifts, thinking about fun things we can do, the people we will see, etc. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the actual holiday, but, I enjoy most the "doing" that comes before.
Now that my task list is complete for Christmas, I can sit back and appreciate the lights, the music, the scents, the time with family and friends. And I will. But, in the corner of my mind, I'll be missing the prep work. Ah well, June is only six months off! At the top of the post I said I was thrilled that my task list has shrunk, maybe satisfied would be a better word.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.