11.23.2009

Changes

This year I'm not hosting Thanksgiving dinner for the first time in over ten years. I feel bittersweet about it. On the one hand, I love to do it. I'm pretty organized, and after this many years I have it down to an art. I always have time to enjoy myself with the guests, which is fun. On the other hand, the drama factor has increased over the past few years and I'm happy to be missing that this year.

In deciding to not host, we garnered several invitations, which made us feel good. We're going to spend Thanksgiving with Gabe's family. We're really looking forward to it, and the opportunity to get to know them better.

It occurred to us last night, that we don't have to "work" Thanksgiving morning. We decided to go to the movies! I'm so looking forward to it. Traditionally, we start decorating for Christmas after the big meal, so this year we plan to start a little earlier and be more relaxed doing it.

This year will be radically different, but that's not a bad thing. I enjoy embracing new traditions as our family grows. I'm sure I'll host Thanksgiving again some year, but for now, the break in routine is rejuvenating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.