8.30.2011

The Power of Prayer

A child with cancer. A husband out of work. A home lost to foreclosure. A sister, cousin, aunt, mother with breast cancer. A father-in-law near death. A son on drugs. A newborn recovering from heart surgery. A child lost to suicide. The list goes on and on...

Do you ever feel that you could justify spending your entire waking hours in prayer? I do. There are so many situations that need to be prayed for/about. When I am given a prayer request, I pray for it. If I hear myself saying "I'll be praying for you", I write it down to pray for later, or I pause right then and there and pray.

President Obama. Our military members. The people affected by Hurricane Irene. Residents evacuated due to wild fires. Farmers suffering through a drought... 

I completely believe in the power of prayer. Does this mean that I believe everything I ask for will be given? No. I know that God says "wait" and "no" maybe more often than He says "yes". Do I understand why? No. I'm not deterred, I just keep praying.

My kids. My grandkids. My extended family. My husband. My friends...

I am completely humbled when someone asks me to pray for them. I see it as a huge responsibility. A privilege. A chance to share my faith. An opportunity to renew and refresh my faith.

Prayers of adoration, thanksgiving, praise, confession...

There are so many great verses in the Bible on the subject of prayer. A few of my favorites:

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I have experienced the power of prayer in my life time and time again. I have been awed at the power of prayer in the lives of others through seemingly hopeless situations. I am confident in the assurance that God is always waiting, always listening, always ready for the prayers of His children.

2 comments:

  1. Amen sister! I pray so many times during the day, that sometimes I think God would rather send me to voice mail .. . you know?

    But I also know that obedience has to come with prayer . . .or I feel like a "grounded child" trying to get out of punishment.

    Thanks for this great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think this blog is great! I will be one of your regulars from now on! Your post today was lovely. I also thank you for visiting my blog as well. I appreciate your comments. Have a wonderfully blessed day.

    P.S. Your family is beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.