7.30.2010

A Season of Service

Since I read "One Simple Act" by Debbie Macomber earlier this year, I've been focusing on how I can be generous in my life. I want generosity to be an everyday act in my life. This doesn't mean that I'm going to dole out one dollar bills to strangers on the street everyday, or pledge money to cure cancer, it means that I want to exhibit kindness and generosity each day through some (usually small) act.

Yesterday, I heard a man on KLOVE talking about the Season of Service event taking place in Phoenix in March 2011. I don't know the details, they're not what caught my attention. What intrigues me is the term season of service. That describes exactly what I want for the theme of this phase of my life. I want to share. To serve. I want to be generous all the time. I want it to become second nature for me to continually be thinking of how I can help others, friends and strangers alike, every single day.

I'm determined to pursue this within the realm of reality. Meaning I'm not going to set extraordinarily high standards for myself thus dooming myself to failures. I'm going to be real. Some days my act of generosity may be talking to a friend on the phone for 10 minutes. Other days it may be talking to her for one hour. Some days it may be sitting down to jot a quick note to a friend and place it in the mail. Other days it may be sending her a really long email. Some days it may be buying an extra can of food to start a stash for the holiday food drive. Other days it may be collecting flip-flops with my friends to send to Haiti. Hopefully every day it will include praying, not only for the prayer requests I receive, but for God to show me additional, out-of-the-box ways to express His generosity to me by being generous to others.

I'm quite serious about this. I feel convicted about this. God keeps putting this in front of my face this year. Kindness is one of the Fruits of the Spirit. I need to display kindness in my life, along with love, joy, peace, patience (really?!), goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23)

Here I go... wish me success!

1 comment:

  1. I do wish you much success!

    My fav time of year is "Random Acts of Kindness" week. Don't have a clue when it is because I try hard to take part in this most days. I'd like to say every day but that would just be a lie. ha ha

    Already, you are having a successful season of service. Keep up listening for God's voice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.