7.03.2010

Happy Birthday, Katie! (and Joanna)

Today is Katie's birthday. She is 24 today. When Katie was born JD was only 12 mos, 2 weeks old. Everybody worried that Katie would not get any attention from us (well actually, Dan's mom was the only one that expressed that fear aloud). They obviously did not know Katie. If she needed something she let us know, otherwise she just sat around and smiled. She was the "smilie-iest" of all my kids.

All of the kids were friendly and made friends easily, but Katie was definitely the most social of the bunch. She attracted friends like honey attracts bees. She always has a variety of friends, no two are alike. She has a soft heart for those in need, but, thankfully, she also has a really good bulls**t detector and does not let herself be taken advantage of.

In a family of four kids there are constantly shifting alliances. Although she would be closer to one or the other at various times, she's always gotten along with her siblings.



Katie's social life was so busy as a child, that I seriously did not think she would go to college. I used to wonder what in the world she would choose as a career. Her senior year in high school, we let her get a job at the neighborhood child care center. All of my concerns about what her career would be disappeared. She loves kids and did a great job teaching and caring for them. As her job developed, she displayed remarkable administrative skills, especially in one so young. I was very impressed!

Today she has earned her A.A. and is finishing her B.A. as well as working full-time as an assistant director at KinderCare, caring for Gabe and Sunny, and running a household. And she does it all so well!


The most surprising thing about Katie is how much she is like me. Or, as she likes to put it, she has all of my good qualities, only better, and none of my bad! I have to admit that she has my good qualities only better. Usually mothers and daughters that are alike are not as close as they could be. Thankfully, that is not the case here. I'm grateful for the closeness between us, and the generosity Katie displays in giving me access to her daughter.


All in all, Katie is the best surprise we ever got. She will always be our "ladybug" and Dan's "Katie-did". She continues to be loving, kind, and of course, who can forget that she provided us with our grandchild!


So, Happy Birthday Katie! We are so proud of you, we love you, and we enjoy every moment we get to spend with you.

I also want to say Happy Birthday to my friend Joanna. She is hands-down the sweetest person I know. We met working together at the church, but came to find out that she had worked with some of my kids in the children's ministry when they were little. I always enjoy talking to her, and she is one of the most creative, talented women I know. Now that she's a mom, I enjoy sharing the adventure of motherhood with her through her blog. Plus, I will never forget her birthday! ha ha

2 comments:

  1. Awww, thanks Vicki! That was so sweet. And what a wonderful post for Katie. I can so see how similar you two are, especially after our photoshoot. I remember having her and JD when they were only about 7 and 8 in my sunday school class. And look at at them now and how they have grown into such wonderful adults. That has a lot to say about you and Dan. Happy birthday to Katie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sweet post! I do think I have all the good qualities and none of the bad :) I'm am so glad we have such a close relationship, and wouldn't change it for anything. Love you !

    Kt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.