6.18.2010

Happy Birthday JD!


JD turns 25 today. I can't believe he's that old, especially when I only feel about 35! JD is my second child, my first son. When I was pregnant with him, I lied to the Doctor about my dates. I know, I know, that was really stupid. But I had a very good reason, I didn't want to take a chance on him being born on my mother-in-law's birthday... but that's a whole other story.

Since I had c-sections, his birth was scheduled for 6-18-85. When they handed him to the pediatrician, the Dr said "This isn't a 39-week baby!" Oops, I was found out! Oh well, he was perfectly healthy and hopefully not traumatized by his (somewhat) early entrance into the world.

JD has always been a kid that marched to the beat of a different drummer. He sets his mind on what he wants to accomplish, and he goes for it, regardless of what other's think. As a kid he tried cub scouts, tried sports, but excelled at music. He joined the band in elementary school and continued throughout the rest of his school years. He participated in Jazz Bands, Marching Band, the band at church, State level competitions, all the while amazing us with his ability to get up at 5:00 am for band practice without complaint or reminder. This feat is more amazing than you realize... he's definitely a kid that wanted to sleep late whenever possible. We never thought he'd actually get up for early practice, but he proved us wrong.

JD went off to U of A his freshman year, but when it was finished, he surprised us once again by transferring to Manhattan Christian College in Manhattan, KS to pursue a degree to be a Youth Pastor. Approaching graduation, he met the love of his life, Janel. They were married in July 2008 and settled in Bartlesville, OK where JD was youth pastor at a local church. Once more the drumbeat sounded and JD left that position to move to Columbia, SC where he is pursuing his master's degree in adolescent counseling.

We are so proud of JD, and have been at each milestone of his life. The only negative for us is that he lives so far away. We can't wait for the day when he moves closer to us and we get to have more time with him and Janel.

So on this day, I'll pour over JD's childhood photos, relive the best memories, dream about his future, and celebrate the day this very special son came into our lives. Happy Birthday, JD! We are immensely proud of you and love you more than you can know.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.