3.10.2010

The Perfect Storm

As you know, because I've freely and frequently confessed it, I have an addiction to paper. What you may not know, is that I am very analytical and compelled to keep lists.

I have lists for everything.

I have a monthly menu hanging on my fridge. I keep a list of every book I read in a year. I keep a list of all the craft projects I make in a year, as well as a list of the craft projects I'd like to do. I have a grocery list (of course, that's normal, isn't it?!), lists for my dreams, goals, & wishes for each year. I make a list twice a year of clothing items I need to purchase for myself. I have a list of birthdays and what I plan to give each person for this year. I have a very detailed list to keep track of my Christmas gifts, a list of Christmas items that need to be replaced or replenished. And now that I have the blog, I have a list to keep track of which Bible verses I use and a list to keep track of what quotes I use.

You get the picture... and it's not a pretty one.

Somewhere between the addiction to paper and the compulsion for lists, I've added an addiction to cookbooks. Sounds strange, but if you were living my life it actually makes sense in a quirky sort of way.

My collection of cookbooks is now up to 16. Of course, I have a system for dealing with the recipes. When I first purchase the cookbook, I sit down and go through it, marking the recipes I like with sticky notes. The plan is that I will then try the recipes. I do try some of them, but have fallen way behind. Once I try a recipe, I use those colored post-it tags to indicate if it's a keeper or not. Since I also have a major issue with color, you can see why this works for me.

I'm starting to feel stressed that I have more sticky notes than colored tabs, especially since I just bought another new cookbook last week. I'm trying to come up with a plan to motivate myself to try more new recipes. So, my plan is that I'm going to expand my monthly menu to two months. Add a new dish each week. Write the ingredients on my grocery list for each week at the start of the month. Maybe that way I'll actually cook something new.

Of course, I'm also toying with the idea of using these really cool Mary Engelbreit lists that I'm ordering from Current for some role in this process.

I know, I know, a mind with too much time to think is a dangerous thing. However, on the bright side, I do stay out of trouble!

1 comment:

  1. You and Greg would get along great. He is a cookbook fanatic too. He has checked out all the cookbooks from the Peoria Library (you should check them out).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.