I am reading "One Simple Act (Discovering the Power of Generosity)" by Debbie Macomber. I just started it, so am only on chapter three, but I'm already inspired.
In the first chapter, she talks about keeping a Gratitude Journal. First thing every morning she writes down five things she's grateful for. She explains that when she first started, her list was mainly made up of her family, friends, career; the big things. Now that she's been keeping this practice for years, those big things still make her list occasionally, but her list has more depth today. She's able to see how God uses life's trials in unexpected ways for her good, so she's able to be grateful for seemingly negative things - troubles, pains, losses - that result in good.
I know, you can already see what's coming next. Yes, I'm going to start a Gratitude Journal. As soon as I can go to Michael's and purchase the perfect Mary Engelbreit Journal from the dollar bin. (remember, paper addiction)
I am going through a phase of wanting to be more generous, more encouraging, more accepting... guess that's why I was led to this book. Her point is that generosity begins with gratitude. I'm excited at the thought of surveying the things I have to be grateful for with more depth.
And of course, I have that whole list issue going on too, so, of course, I'm attracted to the idea of another list. Just trying to be honest here. But seriously, after the events of the past few years, I need to take a good look at gratitude. I have a lot to be thankful for.
You'll probably hear more from this book in the coming days...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.