We received our census form in the mail yesterday. I filled it out in less than two minutes (there are only two of us) and we mailed it back last night.
I answered all the questions but one, my home phone number. I have a really good reason for that. A few months after completing the 2000 census, we got a phone call from the Department of Agriculture wanting us to answer a few questions. If I had answered the phone I would have said no, and that would have been the end of it. However, Dan answered and said yes. For the next 12 months we were hounded with phone calls from them asking us questions that took up to 30 minutes to answer. Yeah, I won't be giving my home phone number to the federal government any time soon.
Which brings me to another item. I am so sick of emails and robo-calls from politicians. Arrgh! I consider myself to be an intelligent person. I watch the news, and understand what I am hearing. I am well informed and have the ability to make up my mind about what I think is right or wrong. I have not asked any of these people to call or email me. The calls are simple, I just hang up. But the emails drive me nuts.
I've been getting emails from some guy running for congress. The first few emails I received, I couldn't even tell if he was running in my state or not. I kept replying, take me off your list. The last one I received was the final straw. He is running in Arizona, so I felt more comfortable in being direct. I replied with a pronouncement much like the one above. That I can make my own choices, and do not need to be coerced into voting for a candidate by unwanted emails. I also stated that because he persisted in sending me emails after being asked not to, that I would gladly tell all of my friends and family not to vote for him. (Of course, that was an empty threat because I can't even remember his name). I did not expect a reply, but I did get one, from an aide apologizing on his behalf for her error in not removing my name when asked. I was impressed that she responded, but the throwing herself under the bus; I could have done without.
Anyway, sorry to get off subject. Fill out your census form... it's painless.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.