Today is the start of summer. It's the longest day of the year. Starting tomorrow we begin the slow march toward fall. This is typically the hottest time of year in Phoenix. The record highs for the past few weeks have been in the 115+ range. However the actual temperatures here have been hovering in the low to mid 100s. While I've been enjoying the "cooler" weather, I know it has to heat up to the blast furnace range soon. I mean it really has to, or we won't have rain this summer.
In order for the Monsoon rains to be drawn up into our state from Mexico, the temps have to soar and the dew point has to rise. There are already rumblings among some people that this year may be a Nonsoon.
I hope not.
I need to see the white billowing clouds to the north build during the afternoon. I need to watch them turn dark as they start their trek down the rim toward the Valley of the Sun. I need to feel the rain that those clouds produce over my house two or three times during the course of the summer. I even need to see the lightning and hear the thunder.
During Monsoon we get the majority of our annual 7 inches of rain. We are perpetually behind in rainfall until the scorching desert heat rises to pull the moisture from Mexico up into our arid state. No heat, no rain, more drought.
So today, against all commonsense, I'm hoping for hot temps. I'm looking forward to 115, 118, or even higher. Because I know that a week or so after those hot days, I'll start to see the clouds peaking over the mountains to the north, bringing the hope of refreshing rain.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.