Being flexible is one of my worst subjects. I don't mean being flexible in my body, although I suck at that too, I mean being flexible in how I live my life.
I have a tendency to over-analyze, over-plan, over-think EVERYTHING. I make a list for each day the night before. I make a monthly menu which hangs on my fridge. I make grocery lists, lists of the clothes/shoes we need to purchase for each new season, lists of anything and everything you can think of.
This all probably stems from my issues with perfectionism.
Of course, God, knowing that I have this flexibility issue, likes to throw me for a loop every once in a while.
Yesterday was one of those days. Katie phoned at around 6:20 am and said she felt funny. She had been walking on the treadmill and was having some cramps and pressure. Dan had to be at work at 7:00 am so I offered to take him to work and swing by her house to pick up Sunny. She called her Dr. and received instructions for laying on her side, etc. I picked up Sunny and brought her home.
I was so discombobulated that, after giving Sunny her breakfast, I couldn't get a handle on my day. I looked at my list, but the words were meaningless. I checked in with Katie a few times and then finally got my head together and decided to tackle the errands that were on my Wednesday list. (Yes, I already have partial lists going for the days to come).
We jumped in the car and headed for Hobby Lobby and Costco before swinging by to pick up Dan and head for lunch at Chick-fil-a (which I've never eaten at before!)
I have to say that I was feeling pretty proud of myself. Life threw me a curve, but I managed to regroup. I'm thinking that shows real progress...
(By the way, Katie rested all day and the cramps calmed down some. She will see her Dr. this week)
I can relate! When I'm happy with something, I like it to stay the same... but changes keep coming... especilaly at the age we are at now..so I've begun to realize that nothing stays the same except that changes keep coming. If that makes sense. And I've also realized that it's okay. Sometimes it's good that things don't stay the same. so, I make my lists for those times that it's really important to stay on tastk, and let other days flow as they will.
ReplyDeleteHope everything is well with your daughter.
I came back.. realizing that comments from yesterday were lost... I am like you. I do not like change from something I already like.
ReplyDeleteBut I have come to the conclusion that nothing stays the same... at this stage in our lives there is something that is constant.. and that is change...
It's all good, though because God is unchanging and faithful, right? Glad your daughter is doing better.
My word verification is flexic!