2.22.2010

Quotes

I've been thinking about this for a few days now; what makes a quote a quote?

Each day I choose a quote to post on the right hand side of this blog. Some days the person quoted is very famous, a politician, a founding father, a poet, somebody big that we've all heard of. Other days, like today, it's an actor. Most days it's someone I've never heard of.

As I was typing today's quote from Drew Barrymore, I was thinking "what makes her words quotable?" I mean, I have friends that say profound things all the time. Rarely,something profound even comes out of my mouth. I certainly do not consider myself quotable.

Wouldn't it be interesting though, to start writing down the wise sayings that come from my friends? Can you imagine what they would think if they saw their words, attributed to them in my daily quote column?! That is, if they ever even look at my blog.

If I did decide to quote my friends, would I have to get permission? Should I have them sign a waiver so they can't sue me? Should I offer them a royalty?

We hardly pay attention to the words we use as they're leaving our mouths. Sometimes we're so intent on getting across a point or opinion that we don't even hear what we're saying. Have you ever had a conversation with someone only to wonder a few hours later "what did I say?" Or to stop and think "was I really that rude (or bold, or tactless, or insensitive)? "

Our words hold a power that we take lightly. If you don't think that's true, think about how powerful the words others say to you are.

Quotes. Who decides?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.