4.01.2014

Stitching Update: UFO

Way back in 2007 I started stitching a large nativity project. It is gorgeous, with vibrant colors and I was determined to complete it and give it to a friend. Of course, it took much longer than I anticipated, mainly because I got bored with it after several weeks and had to put it aside.

I picked it up and in 2009 I was making good progress on it when disaster struck. I cut the fabric accidentally when I was frogging. It was right in the center of the road in the lower left of the pattern. I managed to stitch over it so you can't see the cut, but the damage was done. I knew where the cut was and I put it away.

I've looked at it from time to time in the years since, but my eyes were always drawn to the spot where the damage is. I would fold it back up and place it at the bottom of my WIPs. I still wanted to finish it, but I wasn't sure I ever would. I could not bring myself to throw it away.

Last November, my DIL, Janel attended a stitching retreat. It was her first time and she enjoyed herself thoroughly. When she and JD came to visit at Christmas, she brought along some goodies that she had received at the retreat to show to me and Jessica. One of them was a UFO project.

She didn't have any UFOs and asked Jess and I if we wanted the project. I took it, not knowing when or if I would ever have a UFO to use. Then the other day I was going through my stash and happened upon the nativity project. This time I knew I had to let it go. Then I remembered the UFO project.


I cut up the nativity and made a little pin cushion out of it. The project included a UFO button and a pin. I am thrilled with the result. I still have the beauty of the old nativity, but it's not hanging over my head. I'm going to purchase new fabric and start it again one of these days.
 


Thanks, Janel - your little UFO project saved the day!

7 comments:

  1. Good for you. I can see why you were so disheartened. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to salvage at least part of it, Vicki--I can imagine how devastating that must have been when you cut through the fabric. I'm sure that fate will fall on all of us at least once in our stitching careers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful way to save this project. Oh my gosh, you must have been heartbroken when the accident happened. Glad you could salvage it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great that you could save some and still be able to let the rest go and be ok about it. That would have been hard for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good Idea! And I hope you enjoy stitching it a second time, it looks like a beautiful project!
    Happy Stitching
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it because I don't stitch? but I don't understand what a UFO project is. Remind me to ask you next time we chat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing save! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.