11.02.2015

Shake, Rattle, and Yawn


Story image for Arizona earthquakes from ABC15 Arizona


This past weekend I was talking to my son, JD about the increase in earthquakes in Oklahoma. There are several theories as to the cause of these quakes. I don't care about the cause. I only care about the fear factor. I am afraid of earthquakes.

Growing up in Kansas, we didn't have earthquakes. We only had tornadoes. And in all of my years of living there I never saw a tornado. I learned to grab my stuff and head to the basement when the sirens went off. (As I got older, I took my stuff to the basement and then ran outside to crane my neck to try to see the funnel cloud). In school we learned to all crouch under our desks or in the cloakroom when the sirens went off.

My mom watched a tornado destroy a neighborhood from across I-35 when we lived in Lenexa, KS. But that's the closest I've come to a twister.

I respect tornadoes, but I don't have a deep-seated fear of them.

Earthquakes are another story. You can't take cover from them. The sirens don't sound to warn you that one is imminent. They are very scary. They are why I never want to live in California (well, that, and the political environment and the tax rate and the lack of water).

This morning we awoke to the news that three earthquakes occurred overnight about 45 miles from our house. The first one was at approximately 9 pm - a 3.2. We were watching the Royals mount an epic comeback over the Mets at that time. We didn't feel a thing. Our pool didn't slosh onto the cool deck. Our dogs and cat didn't act odd.

The next two shakes happened at 11:30 and 11:50 pm. They were stronger - a 4.1 and a 4.0. I was asleep.

Now I know intellectually that earthquakes, like every other natural phenomenon can occur anywhere. But seriously, if we're going to start having them, I will start looking for a safer place to live. Where that is, I have no idea.

Although I have heard of plans to colonize Mars. Oh wait, I think that's just a movie...

2 comments:

  1. How very odd Vicki. Glad you are all safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worry about all these things -- earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes -- everything. Glad you all are safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.