While we were still in the ER I went looking for someone to come in and turn off an annoying alarm in his room. I saw a cubicle with several police milling around and observed a medical staff on top of a patient in a gurney doing chest compressions. What a sobering sight. I said a quick prayer for the patient and medical staff and returned to Dad's room. A short while later, we heard crying and saw three women in tears as they looked in the direction of that room. Obviously that person had lost their life. My brother commented that he thought that the patient was a young person brought in suffering from an OD. I heard an older lady say to someone on the phone "He's gone. They worked on him for over an hour, but couldn't bring him back". Heartbreaking to hear. I don't know this family. I don't know the circumstance. All I could do was pray.
After we got back home last night, I found my thoughts returning to that scene. Each time, I prayed. Of course I was also praying for my dad and mom and Dad's medical team. But the heartbreak of that family just stayed with me.
Amen! A wonderful, insightful post you have written here. You are so right it matters not if we know them or not,...God knows and that's all that matters. I have taught my children to pray every time we hear a siren...pray for the people going to help, the people that are in trouble or hurt or whatever, just pray for God's guidance and presence in that situation. One time we were praying and didn't know until the next day that actually it was for someone we knew who was working on their home and a large bookcase fell on their daughter. She was in my girl scout troop when she was younger and she survived, although it was a close thing...that did it for me, every siren = a prayer. Thank you for writing this Vickie, and I know that your prayers did something positive for the individuals in the situation you described.
ReplyDeleteLots of prayers for you and your family, but also for that family. A beautiful post.
ReplyDeletePrayer is powerful and while it may seem the only thing, it's the best thing too. Hope your dad is okay.
ReplyDeleteOh yes! I am praying. I am sorry Vicki. So glad you all as a family are together in this.♥
ReplyDeleteI like that quote! Its encouraging when we sometimes feel at such a loss for words. Glad you dad is okay.
ReplyDelete