Each year MSNBC (not a channel I normally watch any more) shows in real time the events of 9/11/2001 as broadcast on the NBC Today Show. Every year I watch. The sharpness of the shock I felt that day has worn off. The sadness has remained.
Twelve years have passed. I remarked to Dan last night that the kids who were 1-17 years old at that time have all grown up post 9/11. They do not know how much the world and particularly the USA changed on that day. He reminded me that it was like us growing up under the threat of nuclear weapons. If it's all you know, it's all you know... it's not as scary. He's right.
On this day it is important for us to remember. Not to remember what we've lost, or how different life is now. We need to remember the unity of those days. The heroes of those days. The faith of those days.
We need to remember so we don't forget. There's a quote that paraphrased says "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it". Very true. If you don't think that's true, just compare what's going on in our country today compared to the pre-WWII years. The similarities are eerie...
I agree with you completely Vicki.
ReplyDelete