9.05.2012

Kansas Part One

We left one week ago today to drive to Manhattan, Kansas to visit JD and Janel. I really wanted to visit the Oklahoma City Memorial so instead of turning north at Tucumcari, NM we continued east on I-40. I have not been that way in 30 years. After stopping over night in Amarillo we continued on to OKC Thursday morning.

Oklahoma City was (of course) unrecognizable to me. When I was there as a girl, there were oil pumps all over the place. They are gone. I remember stopping at Frontier City as a child. It was a modest tourist trap way back then. Now it boasts several roller coasters and is huge!

The memorial was very touching. I did not go through the museum but did stop in the gift shop and came away with some special mementos.

This buffalo (bison) was resting when we stopped for gas and souvenirs

Entrance to OKC National Memorial

More than 60,000 items have been left on the fences. Some are preserved in Memorial Archives and some are used for education and outreach through a variety of projects.



Close up of entrance





Journal Record Building



The Survivor Tree is a 90+ year-old American Elm

9:01 - represents the innocence of the city in the moment before the attack


9:03 represents the moment after the attack and the hope that came from the horror

Each chair symbolizes one of the 168 lives that were lost. The smaller chairs represent the 19 children killed.

The reflecting pool occupies what was once NW 5th Street

The "And Jesus Wept" statue stands at the St Joseph Old Cathedral across the street from the Oklahoma City National Memorial. The focal point of the shrine is a statue of Jesus who faces away from the tragic sight, holding His hand to His face in sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.