I have to be honest, picking my One Word had not even crossed my mind until I read in a fellow blogger's post that she was choosing hers.
It's funny though, the first word that popped in my mind was "grateful". I figure if it came to me that quickly I should just go with it and not try to over-analyze or second guess myself.
grate·ful
/ˈɡrātf(ə)l/
adjective
- feeling or showing an appreciation of kindness; thankful."I'm very grateful to you for all your help"
I always have so much to be grateful for and 2023 will be no exception. The most prominent thing I'm going to be grateful for is moving into our new home. Along the journey to that event I have already experienced much gratefulness.
I am actually grateful that it has (will have) taken 681 days for this house to be built. That long time frame has given me the opportunity to think about God's perfect timing (especially in the face of all the comments from others asking why we don't just give up on this). I've had the time to think about the house itself and the environment/atmosphere I want to cultivate in this home. Because we started packing way back in 2021 and placed a lot of our non-essential belongings in storage, I've really come face-to-face with the knowledge of how many non-essentials I actually have!
Someone asked me recently what I'm most looking forward to in the new house and my reply was "unpacking my books". I have missed my books terribly. They are my friends.
Another unexpected result of these 681 days has been the change in how I look at my role in the family. The Grands have all expressed trepidation of some sort at our move. They constantly comment "things will be different". Yes, they will. When we signed the contract we had an 11 year old, two nine year olds, and a 7, 5, 4, 2 year old. Now we've entered the teen years. Although they're concerned about not having a playroom, I realize that the days of Hot Wheels, wood trains, Baby Dolls, and Play-Doh are basically past. I only need to provide room for Legos, Dan's model train display, Boardgames, and crafts. The park at the end of the street will provide them with outdoor space.
This time has also allowed the girls and I to transition into a change in hosting duties. I will continue to have Family Christmas and random family get togethers throughout the year, but I don't plan to host Easter, Thanksgiving, Birthday celebrations. It's time to pass the torch.
UPDATE: I started this post 12/26. That evening my mom was admitted to the hospital for Gall Bladder issues. While her medical issues were taken care of, her cognitive decline snowballed. Seven family members took shifts to be sure she was not alone. She was discharged to rehab Saturday night. I am so grateful for Gracie! She emailed a New Year's Card to me which I opened this morning and let me tell you, it was just what I needed!
I guess it was confirmation that I chose the best One Word for 2023!
Happy New Year!
Dear Vicki, I am praying for your Mom and Dad and all of you! Exciting times ahead! I can't wait for the pictures. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a word! I can’t believe it’s 681 days. If you would have known that in the beginning you probably would have made other plans. I guess that’s one of God’s blessings, that we don’t know the future. Continuing to pray for your mom. Call when you can.
ReplyDeleteYou picked the best word for 2023! Sorry to hear about your mom and hope she makes a full recovery. I like your plan of transitioning some of the celebrations to the next generation. I think we need a similar plan over here. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteHow is your mom doing? I know how stress can affect Alzheimers. Such a difficult time and you have so much going on ... but so good to see the good in the wait!
ReplyDelete