8.24.2022

Christmas Time's a'Comin'

 Four months from today is Christmas Eve. I am so conflicted about the upcoming Christmas season. On the one hand I'm excited for the joy of the season. On the other my life is so topsy-turvey right now that I sometimes dive into anxiety.

We put our current house on the market at the end of May. We sold it at the end of June. The CASH buyer dropped out this past Sunday. That's right, 20 days into escrow, long after the inspection period, they just changed their mind. Ugh.

We had already contacted the utilities, canceled the pool service, signed a contract on an apartment, and paid for renter's insurance. Sigh.

Now we start all over. 

And to top it all off, it now looks like our new house may not be done until January 2023. Really big sigh.

What does this have to do with Christmas you may wonder?

I have grandkids already clamoring about what are we going to do for Family Christmas? Where will we be for Family Christmas? We are going to have Family Christmas, aren't we?

It gives me joy to know that they really enjoy that tradition. It gives me pause to think about how I'm going to pull it off. My tentative plan right now (other than praying for a miracle that we'll SOMEHOW be in our new home) is to have Family Christmas at one of my girls' homes. They can provide the location, but I'll still plan the event.

To that end I'm continuing on my usual path towards a stress-free holiday. I've been shopping, wrapping, and storing gifts. I'm completely finished with gifts for three Grands and two adult kids. I'm disappointed that I won't be decorating this year, but oh well, that's life.

My oldest granddaughter, Sunny was over the other day and, out of the blue, asked if she could plan the Family Christmas menu. I said of course! And she did. So I texted my daughters with the menu and their food assignments. They laughed. I'm thrilled that the 13 year old is showing that kind of interest! haha

Four months from today my Family Christmas will be behind me. Christmas Eve is typically hosted by my SIL. Christmas Day is typically just Dan and I. To be honest, I ususally start taking Christmas decor down on Christmas Day (surreptitiously, as it irritates Dan!) 

Maybe I'll be in my new home (probably not), maybe I'll be in a tiny apartment (probably) but either way I'll be with my family and that's the joy for me.

This year's gift stash


2 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel. We had Christmas 2019 at Sophia's because I was in a tiny apartment and Vic was in Virginia. Christmas 2020 was just Sophia and I and then 2021 was back with her since our kitchen was all torn up and there was no cooking going to happen there! This year, I'm hopeful for a family Christmas here and you'll get to that point. I learned I have WAY more patience than I ever thought I could have. <>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if my first comment went through. I can't beleive how organized you are with Christmas gifts! Oour kids are home from Indonesia and going back soon. Usually I pack a suitcase or part of one but this time, I realzed this week, I have not even thought about it!
    So sorry about your house woes, but I guess the good thing it you can still have Christmas in your decluttered house. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.