6.01.2022

June

 


Hello June!

May was dedicated to getting my folks moved into their new apartment. It has been exhausting to say the least. Jessica and I worked on helping them choose what items were making the move with them. It was very hard. My mom had so many decor items it's ridiculous. Since it's hard for her to make any kind of decision now, this was doubly difficult. We unpacked all of their stuff at the new place and Jessica made labels for all the cabinets hoping it would help them get used to where everything is. 

Mom is fighting this move tooth and nail. And since part of her cognitive decline manifests itself in being mean, my dad is just exhausted. She's already fallen once, requiring the EMTs to come pick her up. I'm not sure how long they're going to last in the independent living apartment/hotel we found for them.

Once they were moved in my brother and I held a garage sale to get rid of the rest of their stuff. Now that's done he and my SIL will move into my folks house to be closer to them. 

I was foolishly hoping that this move would be a huge improvement for them, but I think I was being hopelessly naïve. It's only been two weeks, so maybe they will start to adjust.

I can't remember what I wrote about our new house in May and I'm too lazy to look back so... 

I think I told you our windows are in. The scaffolding is up around the structure which means they will lathe next. We're hoping to have our frame inspection by mid June. The next step would be stucco and then interior drywall. We're currently looking at mid September for move in. I'm kinda past the point of caring when we'll move in. It changes weekly. I'm more concerned about when to sell this house and how that works in the overall timeline.

The grands are on Summer Break. This will be the first year of no Grammy Summer Camp. Instead I'm planning Grammy's Field Trips on Wednesdays. Looking forward to fun with the kids!

The forecast is for a wet monsoon this year so I have my fingers crossed that we'll see some rain! We're heading into the 100s this week, maybe up to the 105 range. Here in the Phoenix area that is called warm. Hot starts at 110 degrees. Last year we had 22 days of 110+, so really we only had 22 hot days last summer! Haha

I hope to post more in June, but am not promising anything. Enjoy the first month of Summer!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, dear, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate, Vicki! It's so hard when our parents begin to fail. We moved mom and dad into independent living in 2011, but dad's dementia got so bad so quickly that we moved him into memory care the following year. My mom remained in independent living until she died in 2020 (with the help of aides and us kids). The personality changed with dementia are so heartbreaking to watch happen--my heart goes out to you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how hard it is to know how to deal with aging parents and especially with dementia/alzhemers. You've done the best you could. There is no simple easy way and we just hope we can learn from it. Not sure we will. =)
    I am sorry that your house progress is so slow but glad the you can still live in your old house. Grammy field trips sound like a good time.
    The kids will love Wednesdays! May God's peace fill your heart with hope.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.