4.25.2022

I Didn't Realize This Would Be So Frustrating...

 As you know, we signed a contract to build a new home on 3/28/2021. We knew at the signing that the build would take 10-12 months. Two weeks later we received a letter saying it could take 14+ months due to supply chain issues, lack of workers, Covid, etc. In early March 2022 we received a tentative date of July 2022. 

Yesterday we stopped in to see if there was a more definitive date. We need to lock in our interest rate now because the rates went up recently and are expected to rise again in the next few weeks. We were surprised and a little disappointed to learn that our new projected completion date is 8/28/2022 or beyond. 

Not only are windows still the issue but now that China has locked down for a new Covid variant the lathe product (exterior styrofoam) used by our builder is not being shipped. No idea (and obviously no control) on when China will open the port again. {{Sigh}} 

We have no choice but to lock in our rate at this point. The Lender will lock for 120 days. Then we can extend it 30 more days at that time if needed. If you're keeping track that means September 2022. A full 18 months after we signed the contract.

At this point I'm not really concerned about when the house will be complete. It is what it is. But the interest rate component of it is worrisome.

Yesterday I felt a little down, but today all I can do is chuckle. It is completely out of my hands. I feel sorry for our sales associate Rob and his co-worker Shelly. They get a lot of flack from disappointed or even angry buyers. There's nothing they can do about it either. 

Does anyone have any contacts in the Chinese government so we can plead our case with them? Hahaha

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure this must be so frustrating, Vicki! Sure hope you can in your house by the 120 day time period. Such a long wait, but as you say, nothing can really be done as everyone building a house is in the same boat. At least you have a nice house to live in until then! Take care now ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Maybe if we all called China..... never the mind. I am sure it is disappointing each time the date changes. Hang in there my friend.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.