8.03.2021

We Have a Foundation!

 Four months, three days after signing a contract to build a new home, we finally have a foundation! There is no point in getting in a rush over the house building process these days. The builder literally will not, and can not give us a timeline for our house.

In late March when we signed we were given a range of 8-10 months. Two weeks later it was revised to 12-14+ months. We were given the option of backing out at that point, but chose to hang in there. We're not in a hurry. 

The hold-ups in the construction industry are many, and they change week to week. Right now the major delays are in HVAC, windows, cabinets. And of course, workers. In Arizona the federal unemployment benefit expired in early July. The hope was that workers would start returning by 7/10. I don't know if they have or not, but I hope so. Of course, the shortages today are different from the shortages last March. Then they were having trouble getting paint, medicine cabinets, and insulation.

The up-side to the length of the building process is that each day that goes by our current home rises in value. So does our new home. See, there really is a bright side to everything!

I read a devotional a few weeks ago that encouraged praying for what we desire. Even though God already knows our heart's desires (as well as our needs, our hurts, our joys, everything about us), the devotional said we should share them with Him in prayer. This is not something I'm in the habit of doing. I'm good at praying for others, but rarely pray for myself. So, I decided to take that to heart and start praying specifically about the house. 

The best, best case scenario would be to move in November/December. My hope is to move in by the end of January. The reality is it will probably be in April/May. I'm preparing myself for June. 

But for today, I'm so excited to have a foundation.



4 comments:

  1. Yes, COVID certainly taught us to be patient, very patient. Back orders, out of stock, delivery delay, lack of materials due to manufacturing and other plants being short of staff...whether it's a house or a simple item from Amazon.com, everything is taking longer. Never was Psalm 46:10 more relevant than in this post-COVID world, at least I hope we can say we're post-COVID!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Progress is progress, Vicki! I'm sure it must be exciting to build your own home--something I've never done. We did remodel our entire home 25 years ago and the decisions that went into that were more than enough for me! Hope things go well for you in this new chapter ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The foundation is important! And I know that spiritually are also on the right foundation. Tha fact that you pray more for others than for yourself speaks of your unselfish nature. The time will go fast. I hope you do not have to move out before you sell.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.