School has begun. It is without fanfare. Without grocery sacks filled with new supplies. Without actually going to a classroom.
As I've noted before, every adult in my immediate family (except the educator) has continued to go to work each and every day since the shutdown began last March. The grands and I struggled through the end of the 2019/2020 school year together. It was a mess. Disorganized, no new material taught. bad tech issues. Yuck. We were so glad when it was over.
We began the summer with anticipation of them going back to the classroom for the 2020/2021 start. Almost every day this summer one or the other or both of them would sigh "I wish I could go back to school". This from kids that normally whine "I don't like school".
As the middle of July arrived it became pretty obvious that the classroom was not going to be an option. We got emails literally a couple of times a week outlining what school would look like, only to change completely with the next email. To say it was stressful doesn't begin to cover it.
Finally the school decided on distance learning for the first weeks. How long this will last we don't know.
We set up desks for each kid, one in their bedroom, one in my bedroom. The school provided devices. We sharpened pencils, laid out scratch paper and spiral notebooks, hooked up headphones and declared ourselves ready for class.
They are required to wear their school uniforms (at least the shirts). They are live, on-line in class from 7:45 am until 4:00 pm Tuesday-Friday with a 30 minute lunch break. I roam back and forth every half hour or so peeking in to make sure there's nothing inappropriate on their screens and that they're actually in class. (You wouldn't believe the stories coming out of some of the middle/high schools about what's being hacked onto devices) They both tell me that most kids have a mom/grandma/caregiver hovering in the background from time to time.
They make their lunches the night before. They have backpacks (empty) next to their desks. (just in case, I guess!) They adhere to a bedtime and a wake up time. Sunny has yoga as her first class and it's fun to peek in to see her learning the poses. Thunder has PE on Friday afternoons. It's a good thing he's set up in my room. It's bigger and he definitely used the space for PE!
All in all it's going well after one week. It's good that they have the structure of the classroom and that they can see their friends.
I'm glad to do this. My heart goes out to working parents that don't have anyone to monitor their kids through this. I have a friend who works, her 11 year old daughter is in charge of monitoring her younger siblings as well as attending her own classes every day.
That's too much.

It is such a trying time for parents and grandparents across the country and perhaps the world although maybe I'm not watching the right newscasts as I haven't heard anything about the plans for the new school year in Europe or Asia. I, too, cannot imagine what it is like for single parents who are dependent on their income and have no family support.
ReplyDeleteSophia will go to her new preschool classroom. It's a small, private school and she currently has seven students but it could go up to nine. Manageable I suppose although "herding cats" goes through my mind when I think of trying to keep preschoolers socially distant!
I read that the University of North Carolina went back to in-class sessions but switched to virtual learning after four separate COVID cluster outbreaks in the first week. I guess you can't keep those college kids apart!
It's going to be a challenging year for all involved.
I read this and just sigh. I can't believe the commitment that it takes to make sure the kids continue their classes. Thank you for writing this out. This is not how it should be but I commend you for how you are there for your family.
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing you are to your grandchildren during this pandemic, Vicki! I know they will always remember this school year and the special help you've been to all of them. I've often said I'm glad I don't have school age children right now to worry about... Best of luck to all of you! ♥
ReplyDelete