4.02.2020

A Stitchin' Post

In November 2007 one of my best friends was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a blood/bone cancer. She was 39 years old at the time. Over the past 13 years she has battled this cancer; enduring chemo treatments, radiation treatments, two stem cell transplants, and multiple bone marrow biopsies. She is the bravest person I know.

Late in 2018 the chemo treatment she was on became ineffective so in January 2019 she began a new regimen. Every Friday for eight weeks she spent five hours in the chemo room. Then it dropped to every other Friday for eight weeks, then every fourth Friday. I am so privileged in that I get to accompany her to chemo and sit with her during her treatment.

She sleeps for most of that time and I cross stitch. I chose several small projects that I only work on during chemo sessions.

This is one of my (chemo) finishes:


It's a freebie that I picked up somewhere on fabric that I can't identify using DMC threads mounted on a paddle I picked up at a local collectible shop.

How's that for helpful details?! haha

All together I completed four small projects in 2019 and will share them as I "finally" finish them.

My friend is doing great! This combination of drugs is working. I'm praying it continues to for a long time.


6 comments:

  1. You are a good friend to her! I can imagine prayers while you stitch and it's to good to read that this new drug is helping her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you for your faithfulness to your friend Vicki. I am so glad your friend is doing much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful finish and wishing your friend the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful thing for your friend to have you by her side during this time, Vicki! So glad she is hanging in there and I pray for a complete recovery for her. That is such a long time to be battling cancer...

    Your finish is darling--always love a good Prairie Schooler design! Take good care now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely finish! So wonderful that you support your friend through her treatments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your work and I am so glad you get to be there with our friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.