2.21.2018

A Life Well Lived

My daughter called me this morning to tell me that Billy Graham had died. I felt a momentary low followed by such a feeling of joy. This man, who made it his life's mission to share the love of Jesus with the world, was finally home.

I attended a Billy Graham crusade in my teen years in Kansas City. It was exactly like you saw on TV. Tens of thousands of people packed into an arena. Thousands of people surging to the altar as we sang "Just as I am". Besides attending in person, we occasionally watched the televised crusades in my home growing up.

As they keep repeating on the TV this morning, his message was a simple one. He shared the plan of salvation, emphasizing this truth, God loves you.

As I was listening to the accolades pouring in, the lyrics of a hymn we sang when I was growing up came to mind. I had to smile, thinking of the rejoicing that awaited this servant of God as he arrived home.

Sing the wondrous love of Jesus
Sing his mercy and his grace
In the mansions bright and blessed
He'll prepare for us a place

When we all get to heaven
What a day of rejoicing that will be
When we all see Jesus
We'll sing and shout the victory

While we walk the pilgrim pathway
Clouds will overspread the sky
But when travlin' days are over
Not a shadow, not a sigh

When we all get to heaven
What a day of rejoicing that will be
When we all see Jesus
We'll sing and shout the victory

Onward to the prize before us
Soon his beauty we'll behold
Soon the pearly gates will open
We shall tread the streets of gold

When we all get to heaven
What a day of rejoicing that will be
When we all see Jesus
We'll sing and shout the victory


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I too was sad. What a man. What a man. I love that hymn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In his own words, "Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.