My DIL Janel attended a stitching retreat for the first time this past weekend. This is something that I think I'd like to do. I'm just not sure I'm brave enough. Janel had a terrific time and received lots of free goodies. The retreat was held at a beautiful location and meals were provided. She is seriously thinking of attending another one in the Spring.
I'm trying to work up the nerve to think about attending with her. It is hard for me to go places where I don't know anyone, but I've gotten better at it as I've aged. The real concern for me is: what if I'm not as accomplished a stitcher as every one else? My daughter Jessica said her fear in going is: what if I'm the slowest stitcher there? Haha! I can laugh at her fear, but I can't laugh at mine; how silly is that?!
Have you ever attended a stitching retreat? Was your experience negative or positive? I'd love to hear your stories.
I have never attended a stitching retreat. So many ladies say such good things about them though don't they.
ReplyDeleteI've never been to a big retreat--just the one I posted about last time. Our self-made "five friends stitching" retreat. I think you should go--stitchers are all such nice people--very quick to help or lend a hand. With your DIL there you'll at least know one person and chances are you'll come home with a bunch of new stitching buddies!
ReplyDeleteAh...Vicki....Don't feel bad....I have just started knitting classes over the past year...and yes, I am the slowest person ever. I just came back from holidays and my friends knit three times as fast as me...but I completed two smaller projects which gave me the inner satisfaction. Just go and enjoy!
ReplyDeleteI've been on two in the UK. The first was lovely, just six of us plus the two organisers staying in a converted barn. I shared a room with the other "young" person who by a coincidence worked for the London office of the same firm as I did! The others were 2 sisters in their 50s, a lady on her fourth visit and a recent widow on her first.
ReplyDeleteThe standard and speed of our work really didn't matter we just enjoyed stitching together, learned some new things, bought too much and ate some lovely food!
The other was in London and was bigger and less personal but I still made friends and learned goldwork.
I'd say "Go for it!" Stitchers are just friends we haven't met yet, to paraphrase a well known saying.