5.10.2013

As I Get Older...

I was fitted with my first pair of prescription glasses when I was eight years old. Since then I grew steadily more nearsighted (myopia) each year. When I hit my 30s, I used to look forward to my 40s, thinking that when I started to get farsighted (presbyopia) the two would cancel each other out and I would miraculously be able to see! Yeah, that didn't happen. Instead I had to have bi-focals.

Now that I'm approaching 57, my vision has gotten much more complicated. The good news is that my prescription for nearsightedness is actually improving a little. The farsightedness is not. Neither of those prescriptions work for stitching (mid range vision) or the computer. So I now have four pairs of glasses. I just got new ones, so I thought I'd show them off.

The bottom line is: I'm thankful for my eyesight!


My computer glasses
They're single vision so I was able to buy plastic frames, I love them!

My stitching glasses
They're single vision so I was able to buy small, lightweight frames


My sunglasses (obviously)
They're bifocal progressives
My lenses are so thick that they're not able to grind them down 
If you were to see me in person, you'd see that these are truly coke bottle lenses

My everyday glasses
They're bifocal progressives, but in a clear lens they are able to grind them down quite a bit.
Thank goodness!


5 comments:

  1. Love all the different looks. I have some reading glasses that are prescription but doc said next year I'll probably need progressive lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Vicki! That is quite a few pair of glasses to keep track of. I got my first pair at 12, just like my daughter. I wore contacts for 20 years. Back to glasses now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many different looks--all wonderful!! I, like you have been nearsighted since a young age, but I stitch without any glasses--the first time in my life I've been happy to be nearsighted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! How do you keep track of all of them? I have to laugh at my hubby, who has not needed glasses until recently... for reading .. and how he now lines up his glasses, his phone and his keys when we sit down at a restaurant. He is the one sho needs a purse.
    I am stll quite happy with my contacts .. one for reading one for distance. (how that works, I do not know)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the best smile :)

    I can't believe you have so many pairs of glasses... I'm thinking I'll need bifocals soon. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, your comments are important to me.